In the contemporary era, barcode has become highly used, user-friendly tool. The amount of barcode label software and the cost of barcode scanners have decreased to a considerable level, and thus anyone can afford the implementation of the barcode system.
The data that a barcode contains is just the product reference information that the computer uses to search the records that are related to the product. By scanning a bar code, product details such as warehouse locations, on-hand balances, and production status can be retrieved easily.
The barcode systems consist of two main components:
- The Barcode Hardware – It includes scanners and decoders that are used to read the barcode labels.
- The Barcode Label Software – It is used to process the information and interact with your business management software.
Barcodes readers are commonly seen in retail stores and supermarkets. However, they are used in several other applications, like asset tracking and inventory management.
Benefits of Barcode Systems
Now, let us look at some amazing benefits of barcode systems.
- Easy to implement – Barcode scanners require a simple driver and little programming for their operation. Thus, it can easily be set up in one day. Moreover, employees can easily be trained on how to use it.
- Reduction in errors – Today, error-free barcode scanners are available. Using them, human errors can be removed completely. No manual typing is required; you simply need to scan the barcode. Also, this reduction in errors have a great impact on service levels.
- Wireless capability – Because of the availability of barcode scanners, it becomes easy to carry them anywhere in the store and scan the product.
- Help saving resources – Barcode systems eliminate the need of paper to keep track of products. Everything is saved digitally.
- Save time – In the old days, a lot of human resources and number-crunching was needed to keep track of inventory. Several mistakes were also committed in doing so. But with the entry of the barcode system, it is really simple to manage the inventory. You need not type everything by hand; the barcode contains all the information. All you need is a simple scan of a barcode, and that information is transferred into the computer.
- Change prices easily – If for any reason (such as a sale), you want to change the cost of the item you sell, it can be done quickly because of the barcode system.
- Improved operation efficiency – Barcode provides accurate and faster data collection. Thus, less amount of time is spent on the data entry process and error resolution. This free your staff to manage other tasks, while still replying to the needs of your customers.
- Keeps Data History – The barcode system can give you complete information about your inventory history, thus making it easy for you to decide on what you are going to buy.